WINTER ACTIVITIES IN NORTH DAKOTAFor your health and sanity find some excuses to get outdoors!
Yes, North Dakota is cold and frigid but that doesn’t have to stop you from bundling up and having fun in the snow. There are plenty of things to do to keep your spirits high and fight off winter blues. Here are our top recreational activities to try this winter. Go outdoors, get some fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, and have fun!
- Skiing, Snowboarding, and Tubing! In North Dakota, 3 places come to mind: Huffhills in Mandan, Bottineau Winter Park in Bottineau, and Frost Fire Ski Area in Walhalla. All are great choices and known for their downhill skiing, snowboarding, and snow tubing: https://www.huffhills.com/, http://skibwp.com/, http://www.frostfireskiarea.com/
- Cross Country Skiing! Escape town and head into the pine forests in one of North Dakota’s State Parks. There is an assortment of trails from novice to advanced. Fun for the whole family. Connect with each other and nature. Keep up to date with the latest weather and trail conditions at North Dakota Parks and Recreation Department: http://www.parkrec.nd.gov/activities/ski_trail_conditions.html
- Try Curling! Looking for a social event for all ages? Curling is a sport that can be enjoyed by everyone no matter age or ability. Increase your flexibility and aerobic fitness which probably supports your New Year’s resolution! Plus, they provide the equipment for you at the rink and you can drink on the ice! Find a club near you to try this fun and social sport: http://www.capitalcurlingclub.org/
- Snowmobiling! There are 230,000 miles of marked snowmobile trails in the US and Canada. Get outdoors and breathe in some fresh air, get exposed to natural sunlight, and see the wildlife. This is a fun and exhilarating way to burn calories and site see. For trail and snowmobile question visit: http://www.snowmobilend.org/
- Ice Fishing! Is it cold out? Good, you can go ice fishing. Where to go fishing is a common beginner question. Devils Lake is rated number 1 in North Dakota for ice fishing but most bodies of water will turn up fish. Check out one of our sales representatives, Tyler, ice fishing with his son on Lake Tschida. Looks like they had a very successful day! For more information on ice fishing and common questions visit: https://www.takemefishing.org/ice-fishing/ice-fishing-basics/ice-fishing-faq/
- Ice Skating! There are many places to ice skate outdoors. There are also indoor rinks in most of the bigger towns during the winter. Ice skating is a great sport to help improve coordination. You can only do this once a year so it is a great tradition to start, or makes a great memorable moment, or date night. Here is a list of popular rinks in North Dakota: https://bestthingsnd.com/ice-skating-rinks/
- Hockey Games! Need more of a spectator sport? A hockey game might be up your alley! This is a fast-paced sport that has exciting plays, intense checking, crazy fans (maybe due to the regular occurring fights), awesome concessions, and will be sure to keep you entertained for the night. If you want to support your local community, check out your local high school teams or hockey club nearest you. http://ndhighschoolhockey.com/NorthDakotaBoysHighSchoolHockey/schedule.aspx. For a more intense atmosphere, follow these links to check out our two NAHL teams located in Bismarck and Minot, ND: http://www.minotauroshockey.com/printable-schedule, http://www.bismarckbobcats.com/2017-18-schedule